Tofu cheese is becoming more and more popular in our country. It is indispensable in the nutrition of vegetarians and followers of a healthy lifestyle. But both those involved and people who are far from fashion trends in nutrition often do not know all the culinary possibilities of tofu cheese. This article contains almost everything you must know about tofu and also the best vegan tofu recipe.
Tofu cheese, what is it?
If you’re wondering what tofu cheese is and how it’s made, you’re not alone. The basic composition of tofu is soybeans, water, and coagulants. Coagulants, mixing with water containing small particles of any substance, cause the adhesion of these particles (coagulation). Such “lumps” then float to the water surface.
Tofu cheese is obtained by curdling soy protein when heated. To do this, dried whole soybeans are ground and mixed with water to obtain a mixture, which is then divided into solids and liquid (soy milk). To the boiled and slightly chilled milk, a coagulant is added & the mixture is carefully mixed. As a result, soy milk forms a moderately plastic mass, similar to cottage cheese.
Tofu cheese benefits
Tofu is rich in protein and contains amino acids, fats, carbohydrates, and a variety of vitamins and minerals.
100 g of solid tofu contains:
- 144 kcal
- 17 g Protein
- 9 g fat
- 3 g Carbs
- 2 fibers
- 18% HF vitamin A
- 53% HF potassium
- 51% CH manganese
- 42% COPPER CH
- 32% CH selenium
- 15% CH phosphorus
- 15% HF iron
- 14% MAGNESIUM CH
- 14% ZINC CH
A little about the benefits of tofu
- Tofu cheese with a relatively small number of calories is very nutritious. The nutrient content of tofu largely depends on the type of coagulant used to make it. For example, nigari-added tofu contains slightly more fat and potassium but less protein, fiber, and calcium than tofu with added calcium sulfate.
- Soybeans contain natural plant compounds called isoflavones. The reduced risk of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease is associated with the high content of isoflavones in it. For comparison: in 100 g of solid tofu – about 60 mg of soy isoflavones, and in 240 ml of soy milk – only about 28 mg of these compounds.
- Experts believe that the combination in tofu cheese may offer heart health benefits. Thanks to this specific set, tofu is more useful for reducing the level of “bad” cholesterol than soy supplements.
- Recent research suggests that soy flavones may help reduce bone loss or increase bone density.
- It also helps reduce menopausal symptoms, including fatigue, mood disturbances, and hot flashes.
- Many nutritionists suggest that eating tofu instead of animal products such as meat, eggs, and dairy products helps reduce the total amount of saturated fat in the diet.
- Scientists have proven that eating an average of 50 grams of tofu per day can reduce the risk of depression during pregnancy by 28%.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Bell pepper
- Sesame oil
- Chilli garlic sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Silken tofu
- Vegetable stock
- Corn flour/corn starch
How to make it?
It is a very straightforward recipe. It starts with chopping up the veggies and tofu, sautéing the veggies, whisking the sauce together, then adding tofu. Pour them in the sauce into the pan.
When things get hot in the container, this is an easy & first recipe to cook, so do all steps with patience.
Try to chop your vegetables with little dice, aside from the shiitake mushrooms which you ought to clean off with a moist material, cut down the middle, & afterward cut meagrely (picture one beneath). Dicing everything little into half-centimeter pieces will guarantee that the vegetables cook rapidly and uniformly.
If you have a decent food processor, simply quarter the stripped carrots, cleaned onion & pepper (having taken out the seeds and inner parts), and heartbeat until all that has been slashed into little pieces.
The tofu ought to be depleted (not squeezed) and cut into half-inch solid shapes or around one-inch square shapes. It might disintegrate a little while hacking or tenderly blending in the dish later however that is fine, luxurious tofu (even firm smooth tofu) is very fragile.
Then, add sunflower oil to a wok or huge dish and intensity on high until smoking hot.
While the oil is warming, add all the sauce fixings except the corn starch (vegetable stock or stock, light soy sauce, rice vinegar, bean stew garlic sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and squeezed garlic) to a bowl, whisk together, and pass on aside.
At the point when the oil is smoking hot, add every one of the vegetables to the skillet and sauté the food for three minutes until mellowed. You ought to just be blending enough on a case-by-case basis to cover the vegetables with a tad bit of the hot oil toward the beginning and to keep them from staying and sautéing.
Then, include all the sauce and the tofu and tenderly blend (see picture three beneath). Keep the intensity high and with regards to a bubble, let it cook for three minutes.
While the sauce and tofu are cooking, add the corn flour to a little bowl and include about a quarter cup of cold water. Note that the water should be chilly, not warm.
Race until the entire corn starch has left the sides of the bowl & you have a smooth-looking suspension.
At the point when the three minutes are up, test the carrots to ensure they are cooked sufficiently – they ought to be delicate yet at the same time have a slight chomp. You can allow the sauce to cook somewhat longer until done to your inclination.
Presently add the corn starch water blend and immediately mix to integrate it into the sauce, making an effort not to break the tofu. Leave on high & with regards to a bubble, permit to cook for two minutes, mixing sometimes to keep the tofu and vegetables from adhering to the base.
Your sauce ought to be thicker and glossier.
Remove the intensity and get a teaspoon and cautiously test the sauce for salt, and amount to one teaspoon to taste. This recipe is the thing I would agree is a gentle medium zest level if you like it significantly more sizzling adds additional stew garlic sauce toward the end.
Done! You can act as is with hot steamed rice or seared noodles for a delectable solid eatery-style insight. To dress it up a little you can add some red pepper chips and slashed spring onions as embellishment. Appreciate!
Leave a Reply