Traditionally egg scrambles are very popular. But with the growing popularity of vegetarian recipes, the tofu scramble recipe has also grown its popularity recently.
If you want to learn about this recipe, we offer the complete process of cooking tofu scramble.
But before that, let’s know about tofu;
What is Tofu?
Tofu is also known as soy cheese. It is a food born over 2000 years ago in China and today very widespread in oriental and vegan cuisine. It lends itself to many preparations, can be eaten raw and natural or cooked, and added to other ingredients.
It is a vegetable rich in protein and low in fat and calories. It is also gluten-free and therefore ideal for people have celiac disease. From curdling soy milk with Nigeria, tofu is obtained. It is the vegan version of cheese because the process used for its production is practically the same, with the difference that the product’s origin is vegetable.
The most marketed variety is the one with a solid consistency like cheese. It can be cut into slices and has a characteristic rectangular dough shape. There is also a version of spreadable tofu predominantly used in confectionery. It works as a substitute for animal fats such as butter and eggs.
Tofu has a very delicate taste, almost neutral if consumed naturally. For this reason, you can eat tofu with many other foods without altering their flavor. Given the simplicity of the ingredients and preparation, tofu can also be prepared at home by curdling soy milk with lemon juice.
Let’s find out some of the nutritional value of tofu,
Nutritional values and benefits
- From a nutritional point of view, tofu is one of the most suitable foods for those who want to stay healthy.
- First of all, it is a low-calorie food and proves to be a good ally.
- The calories of tofu are very few compared to the percentage of nutrients it contains.
- That’s only 76 kcal per 100 grams of the product.
- Rich in proteins, vitamins, and mineral salts, it is instead free of cholesterol and saturated fats unlike cheese of animal origin. Therefore, it is useful to prevent hypercholesterolemia and to rebalance lipid concentrations in the blood.
- As a result, it helps good heart health and wards off the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Also important in the contribution of tofu proteins. Being a derivative of soy, it contains all ten essential amino acids and boasts an excellent percentage of flavonoids and is flavones, antioxidants that help fight free radicals and prevent cancer.
- Among other benefits, the presence of proteins, vitamins, and antioxidants helps strengthen the immune system and slow down aging.
Let’s find out the Tofu Scramble recipe to prepare at home;
Tofu Scramble recipe to prepare at home
Few people don’t like tofu very much because they consider it a flavorless ingredient. But tofu is necessary for our body because it is a valuable source of vegetable protein. The ability of tofu to acquire the taste of spices and other ingredients is the strength of this food because it makes it a truly versatile ingredient.
There are so many recipes to make tofu tastier and tastier but the preparation of tofu scramble is probably one of the fastest and most satisfying. Because, it requires very few ingredients and simple preparation, within everyone’s reach, even those who do not like to cook very much.
To prepare scrambled tofu for two people, you will need a classic tofu dough that is still easy to crumble with your fingers. You can start without problems both from the purchased tofu and homemade tofu. You can add this dish to your vegetarian and vegan recipe book.
Tofu Scramble, here is the recipe to prepare at home.
- Extra virgin olive oil: 4 tablespoons
- Small white onion: 1
- Small carrots: 1
- Tofu: 400 g
- Sesame: 2 teaspoons
- Soy sauce: 2 teaspoons
- Ginger: 1 piece
Prepare Tofu scramble by browning the onion in a pan. And then add the crumbled tofu until it is slightly golden. It can be called one of the classic dishes of macrobiotic cuisine or vegan cuisine, given the use of fresh tofu combined with other vegetables.
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- First, squeeze the tofu. Like most tofu recipes, this dish will taste better if you squeeze out the tofu juice first.
- After your tofu is well squeezed, cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Then, using either your hands or a fork, lightly crumble it to get consistency. It looks similar to an omelet.
Heat a pan, pour the oil, and add the peeled onion. The carrot is cleaned and cut into small cubes: sauté everything for 3-4 minutes until the onion is slightly golden.
Add the crumbled tofu, sesame, soy sauce, and sauté over medium-low heat. Turn it constantly with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes until the tofu becomes slightly golden while remaining soft.
Sprinkle with grated or chopped ginger at the moment & serve hot or cold.
While cooking, the tofu or vegetables tend to stick to the pot. To avoid this, insert a flame breaker net to protect the bottom or add a little oil to the pan.
As an alternative to these ingredients, if you do not love them very much but want to make your scrambled tofu more characteristic, you can add to the preparation, when the tofu is still in the pan, a pinch of asafoetida. One last suggestion to enrich this dish: cook the tofu in a pan together with zucchini or eggplant cut into cubes: so you will have a complete second course ready in ten minutes. Finally, add a few leaves of fresh basil to garnish.
The tofu scramble recipe is a popular vegan breakfast dish similar to an omelet. Although this recipe requires onions and green peppers, don’t be afraid to experiment. Add various additives such as spinach, mushrooms, and green onions, as a meat substitute. The possibilities for a vegan tofu scramble recipe are endless! Try curry tofu scramble with spinach or cayenne spicy tofu scramble. Wrap in a flour tortilla for a light breakfast of burritos.
Thank you, everyone, If you like these details do subscribe for further vegan healthy recipes, and you will be notified. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram too. If you have any questions for us, feel free to comment below. Find our other healthiest recipes for fruit salad, veg salad, and sweet potato salads as well.